Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Seek First

"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you." Matthew 6:33 (ESV)

Today was the first day of school.  Matthew 6:33 is our theme verse for the year.  I think it is a timely and important one.  As a teacher, I sometimes fall into the trap of trying to win accolades from parents and fellow teachers.  After all, I want what I do to make a difference, and I admit that I sometimes want people to acknowledge that I am doing a good job.  No, not a good job - a great job.  Sometimes I have to stop and think if I am making teaching decisions based on what is truly best for my students or based on what other people will think about the decisions.  However, Jesus says to "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness."  He doesn't tell me to seek approval of others.  As I go throughout the school year, I need to be constantly reminded of this.  After all, teaching is part of my vocation, and is meant to serve God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment