Sunday, December 18, 2011

Advent

Ok, before anyone complains that I haven't blogged in a long time, I already know. Frankly, while I enjoy this blog, it hasn't been a priority lately. I have thought about it a couple of times and just have not gotten around to it. However, I am posting now.
Last year I posted about Advent. Because it is already there for the world to see, I am not going to recap it all again. However, while it is getting closer to Christmas, once again, Advent is getting forgotten. So, in the week leading up to Christmas, I am going to share some of my favorite Advent hymns, which I also think tend to be some of the best and most powerful of all hymnody. (Everything I will be posting is in the public domain.) I like so many Advent hymns, I won't get to post them all. Still, hopefully you will see some of your favorites and maybe see some new ones as well. Enjoy!

The hymn I am posting today is a very old hymn (written somewhere between the 5th and 10th centuries). It is a newer hymn for me, though, having just been introduced to it last year. Frankly, I think it is fantastic and a great way to start off this hymn collection.


"Creator of the Stars of Night"


Creator of the stars of night,

Thy people's everlasting Light:

O Christ, Redeemer, save us all,

And hear Thy servants when they call.


Thou, grieving that the ancient curse

Should doom to death the universe,

Hast found the healing, full of grace,

To cure and save our ruined race.


Thou cam'st the Bridegroom of the bride,

As drew the world to eventide,

The spotless Victim all divine

Proceeding from a virgin shrine.


At whose dread name, majestic now,

All knees must bend, all hears must bow;

All things celestial Thee shall own,

And things terrestrial, Lord alone.


O Thou, whoe coming is with dread

To judge the living and the dead,

Preserve us from the ancient doe

While still we dwell on earth below.


To God the Father and the Son

And Holy Spirit, Three in One,

Praise, honor, might and glory be

From age to age eternally.

Amen.



Here is a link to another page that has the melody: http://http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/r/crestars.htm


And, a you tube video of the hymn with a slightly different translation:



Happy Advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment