Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Advent of our King

The season of Advent is nearing its end and the season of Christmas will be here soon. But, it's ot Christmas yet. While some people seem to think that Christmas starts right after Halloween and others consider the day after Thanksgiving the start of Christmas, I do not. While I am perfectly content to consider the day after Thanksiving the beginning of the holiday season (and a perfect time to start decorating the housee), I don't want to lose the wonder, marvel, and reflection of Advent.

Advent is a time in which I focus on my sin and the need for a Savior. Yes, I said it. I am a sinner. Those words sting and are not easy for my often perfectionistic self to say. After all, who wants to admit that they are not perfect? Certainly not me. But that is what the season of Advent is about. It is a time for me to reflect on my sinful nature and the fact that I do not deserve anything and cannot achieve anything on my own. I need a Savior. I need someone to take my sins and bear the punishment for them. I need Christ.

After all, isn't that what Christmas is all about? If we didn't need a Savior, what reason would the Father have to send his Son to have a human birth? Christmas is meaningless without the realization that it is only necessary due to our fallen nature. Christmas is meaningless if I am not a sinner in need of a Savior. As you prepare to celebrate Christmas, don't lose the importance of Advent. As John the Baptist said, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!" (Matthew 3:2, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment