Saturday, April 28, 2012

Grace - For Real

Lately, I have been noticing the number of churches called "Grace Something-or-Other."  Now, I think that "Grace" is a great name for a church.  However, what I have also noticed is that a great many of these churches don't actually preach about grace.  This is, of course, not universally true.  I am sure there are plenty of Grace Churches that do preach the Gospel with all of its sweetness, and have even been to one.  However, there are at least an equal number that do not.  If you are going to call yourself "Grace,"  you had better be preaching about grace, and not just state it in a mission statement.  After checking out a variety of Grace Churches on the internet and listening to their sermons or reading sermon manuscripts, I am even more sure that these churches do not actually understand the concept of grace.  The sermons that I looked at from these churches were all about how to be a better person, live a better life, or the things that we must do.  They did not address the fact that we are poor miserable sinners, and, that no matter how hard we try, we will always be poor, miserable sinners who need the redeeming blood of the Savior, Jesus Christ.

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."  (Romans 3:23-24, NIV)

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. '"  (2 Cor. 12:9, NIV)

God's grace is sufficient.  Yes, I do need to hear the Law.  I need to hear about what a terrible creature I am on my own so that I can realize that I cannot save myself.  Then I need to hear the Gospel message of Jesus Christ crucified and raised for me.   I need to hear both of these things every week.  (Frankly, I need to hear both of these things every day.)  So, if you are going to call yourself "Grace Something-or-Other,"  please, please, please preach the Gospel.  Because, without it, everything else is meaningless.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment