Saturday, August 3, 2013

Hymn of the Month - The King of Love My Shepherd Is

I apologize that this hymn is a couple of days late.  I've been busy getting stuff ready for school and just remembered that I hadn't yet written my post for August!  Part of the goal before school starts is to get the hymn of the month posts done through November.
Anyway, this month I picked one of my many favorite hymns - "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" by Henry W. Baker.  This hymn is mostly based on the 23rd Psalm.  My confirmation verse was Psalm 23:1.  Here is Psalm 23 in its entirety:
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.
Frankly, I am not really going to go into an explanation of the hymn as it is rather self-explanatory.  As you read this, use it as a prayer.

The King of Love my Shepherd is,

Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am His.
And He is mine forever.


Where streams of living water flow,
My ransomed soul He leadeth,
And, where the verdant pastures grow,
With food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,

But yet in love He sought me
And on His shoulder gently laid
And home rejoicing brought me.

In death's dark vale I fear no ill

With Thee, dear Lord, beside me,
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.

Thou spread'st a table in my sight;

Thine unction grace bestoweth;
And oh, what transport of delight
From Thy pure chalice floweth!

And so through all the length of days

Thy goodness faileth never.
Good Shepherd, may I sing Thy praise
Within Thy house forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment