Sunday, August 18, 2013

Summer Goals Revisited

At the beginning of the summer, I let you know what my summer goals were.  As school starts on Tuesday and summer is pretty much officially over (with the exception of the inspirational teacher movie marathon I am throwing myself tomorrow), I thought I should let you all know how I did on achieving my goals.

1) Reread Jane Eyre.  I finished this one in June, and enjoyed it more this time around than I think I ever have before.  (I love this book, so that is saying a great deal.)  I also read many other books this summer, like I was hoping to do.

2) Memorize the piano part to the Starke/Holst "We Praise You and Acknowledge You, O Lord" out of the hymnal.  I thought this would be the most challenging of my goals, but I did it and did it much faster than I thought I could.  The more I work on memorizing piano music, the easier it becomes.  I never really understood why my piano teacher insisted I memorize occasionally, but I now wish that I had spent more time on it when I was younger.

3) Re-learn calculus.  I got a good start on this, and am satisfied.  No, I didn't get to integrals and spent my whole time with derivatives, but, I still feel like I got the good brain workout I was hoping for.

4) Finish the deck.  This one did not get done.  I did get a little more of the deck stripped.  It rained a good deal this summer, and it is not something I can do during the rain.  The weather has been nice lately, but I tore up the belt on the belt sander and need to replace it, plus, my knee has been bothering me, so I really don't want to be kneeling on the deck, even though the weather has been beautiful lately.  (I know these sound like feeble excuses, but, I was by far the least motivated to achieve this goal.)

Now, it is time for school to start and all of the chaos that comes with the school year, including choir, handbells, Beta Sigma Phi, church youth committee, and PTL meetings and other school events.  Plus, in October, I am starting the Lutheran Teacher colloquy program, which means that I will be taking a course a month for 8 months.  Let the craziness begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment